Friday, November 27, 2009

too lazy to title.

Man oh man-Good week. I have been weirdly interested in cooking lately, (although I'm terrible at it) and I am trying to do it a bit more. Fortunately Natalie can cook well, and we are doing it twice a week. It's a welcome change from ramen noodles. I was getting desparate for that change. In fact, no joke, a few weeks ago I mixed together ramen and macaroni and cheese, just so I could taste something different. It was awful. On last Thursday we cooked some really good cajun chicken pasta and Tuesday we made Mexican Crostada. Pretty good stuff. Thanks for the recipes Rita. This week I am choosing the recipe for Wednesday so leave a good suggestion in the comments. Ate anything good lately?

Speaking of good food we went and had Thanksgiving in Cokeville yesterday. There were like 35 people there and it was a huge table and lots of fun. The food of course was incredible too so thanks to those who prepared it. Grandpa told some funny stories afterwards that had us laughing pretty good.

My obsession with little Richard is getting worse. This biography I'm reading is intense. He was a crazy dude-I just read about how as a child he used to have this compulsion to defacate in jars and boxes. He would sometimes wrap up the boxes an give them to people as gifts. Once he did it in his mothers jam jar and then put it back on the shelf like nothing had happened. The town thought he was possesed by the devil. There are some other sad things that happened to him as a boy that are probably too graphic to describe here, but his story is fascinating. He thinks many of his problems have come to him because his one leg is much shorter than the other. Although I don't think it has affected me near as much, I felt I could kind of relate. Walking funny because of my leg did have some sort of an impact on my personality, beleive it or not. It was one of the reasons I got made fun of a bit, and so I had to combat that by making fun of myself. I still have that trait to this day somewhat. Little Richard also kind of invented performance art in rock and roll because he was trying hard to be non-threatening to white people. There was a lot of racism in Georgia and the rest of the U.S., so to get around that he invented the craziest stage act that he could so as to come off as funny. Then everyone else kind of copied his free expression approach. Elvis refers to Richard as the greatest performer who ever lived.

Speaking of great performers, we went and saw the Michael Jackson movie the other night. It was a bit too long, but it was entertaining and kind of sad. Even though at times Mikey was a little over-indulgent in the rehearsals, that show would have been and amazing one. He was all about spectacle. At one point he plans to have a huge bulldozer drive onto stage and stop right before it hits him. Nobody questioned his judgement. It was weird. After watching that I can't stop singing Human Nature.

Ever seen Style Wars? Its a famous documentary about graffiti in New York in the 70's, and its pretty amazing that it even exists. Do yourself a favor and sit down to watch it sometime.

End of the year is coming up, time to start making some lists. And listening to Christmas Music. And figuring out presents for people.

My mom wanted a list of things I might want for X-Mas. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Conquest of the Useless by Werner Herzog.
2. Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys on Vinyl
3. Glitter and Doom by Tom Waits on Vinyl
4. Non-black Dress Shoes (Size 10 or 10.5 or so)
5. Any books by Steinbeck aside from East of Eden, Mice and Men, and Grapes of Wrath

If I can think of anything later I will post it up.

Calvin

2 comments:

Lori said...

did I tell you we took Avery to This is it? She actually liked it and sat bebopping through the whole thing. Wasn't it so funny how he would go off on the end of the song, totally showing off and loving it, way too long and drug out. Then he'd stop and be like, I cant' do that, don't let me do that anymore, I can't do that, I was just really feeling it. Cracked me up.

coach outlet said...

coach outletcoach outlet
coach outlet storecoach outlet store
coach outlet onlinecoach outlet online
coach handbags outletcoach handbags outlet
coach outlet handbagscoach outlet handbags
coach outlet factorycoach outlet factory
coach factory outletcoach factory outlet
Coach NecklacesCoach Necklaces
Coach Jewelry Set Coach Necklaces
coach sunglassescoach sunglasses
coach braceletscoach bracelets
Coach HeelsCoach Heels
Coach High HeelsCoach High Heels
Coach WedgesCoach Wedges
Coach SneakersCoach Sneakers
coach earringscoach earrings
clx