Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rap battle, Job Hassle, Top Ten Albums of 08

So last night I went to a rap battle on campus. I was not aware it was a rap battle, otherwise I might have not gone. A friend asked me to come do a song, so I obliged, and before I knew it, I was facing off against some gangsta rapper telling me how nerdy I was and how much he was going to kill me. I have not done one of these things for about 6 years, so it was definitely weird. But I held my own...spit some rhymes at fools. Took second (it was crowd judged) and won 20 dollars to Wal-Mart. I am going to buy a bunch of cereal, and some milk. Whoopee!

Last time I did a battle was in Alaska 2003 and it was downright scary. Everyone there hated me. It became a total racial "bash on the white dude" thing and I think I left with more enemies than friends. Have me tell you the story sometime in person because I'm too lazy to write about it.

Gotta work tonight, picking up somebodies shift. Oh well. I need the cash for various things. I decided that I am not the waiter type though. You couldn't make a worse waiter than me...because I don't care about your special needs when it comes to food. Let me just give it to you, and you leave me some cash. I dont want to know your life story, and I dont want you to know mine, and I don't want to act like somebody else while I am giving you the food. Order, Eat, Tip. I'm busy. Can't be bothered.
That may be a bit extreme, but that is why I am not all that cut out for the job. But it is a job.

Headed to P.O.S. this weekend in Salt Lake at Kilby Court. Its gonna be a cool show. Never Better.

Once again there is a show Saturday at Whysound. Gotta a fun rap set put together. I think I am on right at 7 this time around, so if you want to come, come on time. Crooked Beats, Navigator, and Cousin Songs are playing as well. Gonna Kill it.

Oh by the way, sorry the videos in the post below got deleted. I will try to find replacements shortly. They show that the Grammys are just a show....although Radiohead deserves whatever praise they get.

Speaking of...here are my top ten albums of 2008. Once again, totally my opinions and bias.

1. Jolie Holland "The Living and The Dead". It was a tough decision choosing number one, but I have gone back to this album over and over again in the past months without it getting old. Her voice is that mezmerizing, and it great classical songwriting. The genre is maybe rock/folk-country, and she does it better than anyone. Its very honest and I think its my favorite thing to come out this year.

2. Vampire Weekend "Vampire Weekend". This album was great from first listen and is still incredibly catchy. They also became their own genre, which is something every band should strive to do. I saw them last spring and the sound was excellent live. It was one of the most crowded shows I have been to recently, but it was still great. If you haven't heard them, (and you may be the only one) give them a try.

3. Buck 65 "Dirtbike 1-3". This is the greatest rapper in the world with maybe some of his best work yet. He released the 3 hour opus for free online, and its all very low quality, quickly thrown together stuff, but its fantastic. A lot of throwbacks and references and it doesnt sound as is he is trying so hard. Also there are some great guests on it. And once again its free!

4. Jamie Lidell "Jim". I get a kick out of Jamie Lidell, weird as he is. The amazing thing to me is that the music is so creative...and then there is his voice. Its good even for those looking for the traditional definition. Even my brother enjoys this album. But how could you not? Its what Taylor Hicks would be if he was actually cool...and could sing well in a recording booth.

5. Alopecia "WhY?". I have been listening to Why since Highschool and watched him go from an abstract rapper to having one of the stranger indie bands around. Alopecia is a combination of his hip-hop skills and singing. Don't be too weirded out by his voice. He has alot to say about things you never thought would be interesting. I did not like this album quite as much as the last one, but it definitely was not a backslide at all...just different.

6. Islands "Arm's Way". This album did not get treated fairly by alot of reviewers. I am sick of defending it. Most people are mad because they did not make the same album as last time, and to me that is admirable. They totally switched directions. Every song on there is epic in nature and maybe takes more patience, but they are still great songs, and alot more mature than the "Return to the Sea" thing.

7. Sigur Ros "Meo suo i eyrum vio spilum endalaust". This band never dissapoints. Ever. Enough said.

8. Wale "Mixtape about nothing". Thanks to Cory for turning me onto this. It was a free mixtape the rapper Wale released on his website, and the linking theme is Seinfeld. Sounds cheezy? I agree. Is it cheezy? No. Its great. There are samples from the show in lots of the songs and usually they forward the topic he is taking on. It is not about seinfeld, it just uses the templates to dig into his mind. And its awesome. And free.

9. Flying Lotus "Los Angeles". Thanks to Greg for getting me into this. REally grimy beats with lots of feedback and static pops. The entire thing bleeds into one song basically, so its hard to pick a track that you like. The entire hour though is really shifting and has a great feed to the whole thing.

10. Deefhoof "Offend Maggie". I had a hard time understanding Deerhoof before, but this album made it all make sense to me. When the first song hits with the hard guitar and the soft, almost indecipherable quiet singing, I'm sold. Its great. Check it out.

Opinions? Anything you would bump??

Seeya.
Calvin

3 comments:

CrazyKyu said...

So this turned out to be a bit harder then I thought. I guess I went with the albums that lasted longest in my 6 disc shuffle car stereo.

My top Albums of 2008 are as follows:

1. Beck - Modern Guilt
2. ManMan - Rabbit Habbits
3. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
4. Does it Offend You, Yeah - You Have No Idea What You're Getting Into
5. Cold War Kids - Loyalty to Loyalty
6. Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
7. Sigur Ros - Med Sud i eyrum vid spilum endalaust
8. Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
9. Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords
10. Cold Play - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Rachel Kenley said...

I liked Jamie Lindell. The first vid I watched was obnoxious, I had to turn her off.

Calvin Smooth said...

poor taste then...shes genius.